Try a Pilates session today.

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Baby Boomer's living with Osteoarthritis


From early in my 20's I had issues with my hips. taking years of high-impact aerobics, competitive horse riding and jazz dance classes, might have made them a bit more worse for wear. I remember getting massage sessions and my illiac crest was always very tender. But really around 2000, i felt the need to reach out to the medical profession. I was told that I have Osteoarthritis in the hip joints. i could not believe it. I was only 40!! 

One of the things that made me feel stronger, stable and flexible in the joint and my entire body was Pilates. At that point, I changed my 25 year broadcast TV career  into "plan B" and became a certified Pilates trainer. I change of career was personally inspired, but I also realized that there were probably many other baby-boomers like me who have had the same issues of OA or other impingement syndromes in their joints. And with so much of my own personal work in the area of hip anatomy, biomechanics, gait, posture, strengthening, stretching, stabilization for the joint and the surrounding muscles and tissue, I feel like I can really offer  help to those interested in helping themselves.

Coming up next, is my story of my 2 hip resurfacing surgeries.....