Try a Pilates session today.

Thursday, June 23, 2011

My Hip resurfacing -2-3 weeks Post Op


Day 8-Home PT has been great. We are walking around the yard and gardens with the cane. I have a bit of psoas tenderness as I am using the hip a bit more. We have been gently stretching it and strengthenin it by doing a few knee folds  (precursor to Marching exercise).

Day 14
2 weeks post-op
I got my stitches out today. I am off to wash my hair in the shower and start aqua therapy tomorrow. I remember most of the water movements from my prior PT sessions in 2007.

Home Pt has challenged me to be walking with only the cane by the end of this week. I love a challenge! So today I walked around the house, Pilates studio and gardens with the cane. It really takes all my focus to think about how I am walking and keeping the pelvis neutral and move from my hip, not my back muscles- as I was so used to doing. It feels good, and I can get a sense of the strength, but it is tiring. When I get too tired I am relying on the walker as a back up. I feel the inner hamstring group & adductors as a weak link, mainly because I have avoided the whole inseam of the right leg for a number of years.  I will working on those in next PT session.

Day 20-post op
Went to the Petaluma City pool today and did my aqua therapy in the 90 degree heat. It felt great. I did a total of about 50 minutes including; 10 minutes of water walking in about 4.5ft; working on hip extension, straight leg kicks, adduction/abduction (side stepping), easy crawl swimming with flutter kicks, and bicycling in the deep end. We went to run 2 errands before and after the pool, and I was wiped out! , but I came home took a rest and then watered the veggies in our yard. I rested and iced my hip as I watched TV and rested.