Try a Pilates session today.

Monday, July 18, 2011

WEEK 4- Post Op.

I am driving! 
I have a clutch, but my surgery was on the right. No problems getting foot off gas and on brake. Getting in and out of the car is challenging due to the space between wheel and seat is too short. The flexion in the hip, along with the internal rotation of the hip is a bit uncomfortable. I have to push the seat back and then forward to drive. An easy fix. Freedom feels good. I can get around on my own easier and walk, with and without the dog.

I am continuing to work on aqua therapy in the pool, swimming for 1 hr. Not like used to do it (1 hr with flippers), but working on resistance, balance, stamina, mobility and strength for a full hour. It feels great; I don’t want to get out! I am also increasing my walking. I can walk flat track for 1 hr with (and a little without) my stick. Feel the glide of the hip joint! The freedom of un-impinged hip extension!!

I have started Physical Therapy http://www.postwellnessbydesign.com/ in Petaluma. And I am working with Mitch, the owner 2 times a week.

 I get a great soft tissue massage as part of each session. This helps to break-up scar tissue around hip &  ITB. 

We are working on very functional gait work without the stick, and of course…. lots the glutes. Glutes on hip flexion (squats), glutes in extension (pushing off and weight transfer, as in walking), glutes on abduction (getting into my car), glutes on adduction (getting out of my car & being in hands and knee position). Most of the lateral glute attachments have been super stretched or excised and sewn back together. 

POST has a reformer, chair and a move-able mirror! I would like to get one like that.  It’s been good to have someone spotting me in different foot & legwork exercise. I started some leg strap work this week too. Feel the glide of the hip joint!!

I have weak glutes on the R; rather, the glutes have a hard time firing correctly. I have to REALLY think about working them. It takes a few times of really focusing on using them, then they seem to turn on.  I think is is from having the OA, (or maybe they got weak and this started causing OA??). Anyway,  this patterned evolved. 

I am most focused on not going back into my old movement patterns. This takes work, cause I think if there is a issue before surgery, it will be most likely (or weakness & dysfunction) there after surgery as well, and needs to be addressed before it gets to imprinted into the nervous system.


A short walk in Petaluma's Shollenberger Park at 4 weeks:

Some areas that I need work on are: R-adductor tight and weak, R- Quadradus Lumborum- tight weak, Deep rotators tight and weak. Piraformis- tight, weak. R-Illiacus & psoas tight & weak.